Do porcupines eat chickens? help asap

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jennyhaschicks, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Please.

We have a porcupine in our live trap right now. We want to know what to do with it. Does it eat live chicken? Something has been taking a couple of my chickens here and there.
    If they do eat chickens then we probably can't release it.

eta I just did some quick research. They say they won't eat meat. There was hamburg in the trap though? Beats me.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:If the hamb. was gone then you have your answer...

4. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    They might waddle over your eggs and break them. Or dig under your fence and make a path something mean could go in. I'd take him for a ride and set him free!

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Porcupines may eat the coop before they ate an animal. Especially if there is salt around the wood. We had a "butter board" its what you knead the butter to remove moisture and add salt. It was nothing important, yet it was eaten!!! I have heard of them eating the walls from a very old farm house! I am NOT kidding- buggers! If I hadn't seen it, I never would have believed it! I wouldn't encourage porcupines around my home, they do not shoot quills, but if a chicken gets curious, she may be the next critter to pull quills from! LOL.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yes, please be very careful when you release it that you are not "quilled." Ouch!

7. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My dh released him.
    Dh also said there was a old apple core in the trap from way back when. Maybe that is what attracted him?? The meat was gone too though. Strange.
    I don't know. Would a porcupine even be fast enough to get a chicken? They move rather slowly right?

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Porcupines are herbivores - they eat plants.
    Thanks for releasing him!
    JJ

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:That is what we thought they ate. The part that threw us off was that he ate the meat in the trap.
    Maybe he was tired and just ate it? [​IMG] I mean we had him up during the daytime.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, he was in a trap all night and so if they got hungry enough, might have choked down the non veggie fare in the cage. Or rats/mice could have eaten it. :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by