Do possums eat the chickens or the eggs or both?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by icefolks, Nov 21, 2011.

1. icefolks

icefolks New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    I discovered a possum in my girls nesting box....do they eat chickens or eggs or both? If there is one are there bound to be more?

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Yes a hungry possum will eat a bird and eggs too. Be wise and cull the possum. Where there is one possum, there are more. Set up a trap before you lose your birds.

1 person likes this.
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They can eat both.

I have not heard of them running in herds. The ones in my yard are solitary, unless it is mom & babies.

Imp

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
  5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    *I've* personally only had Possums bother the eggs not my adult birds. The worst time for me tends to be when a mother has babies. HOWEVER, since the possum was already in your nesting box I would be very concerned. If he's brave enough to get in for the eggs it's just a matter of time till he goes for the birds. Also how is your coop set up? If a possum could get inside I'm afraid a much more vicious predator could as well.

6. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Possums here have killed adults and babies....they are excellent fence climbers also. I have shot many of them...hate to kill anything but after seeing what they do I would definitely get rid of any pronto and permanently.

Used to think the young ones were cute and only ate eggs. Was I WRONG! [​IMG]

7. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    They sure will eat chickens. Have lost adults, chicks, and eggs to opossums.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Opossums tell me my birds taste just like chicken.

2 people like this.
  9. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    Quote:X2, kill it!!!!

10. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I have a possum that came up on the upper deck to eat cat food. I immediately brought it in, but it has been back to look for more. The dogs have treed it 2-3 times so far. My point though is that it hasn't bothered the chickens and it hasn't gone in the compost heap which is next to the coop. Either I am lucky or it's not interested in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by