Do pullets behave like this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stcroixusvi, Jun 6, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We have a golden laced Polish chick that hops out of the brooder before any other chick. He/She flips his/her tail feathers out, like a rooster. The chick is 4 weeks old tomorrow. Do pullets do this? Or should I assume male? We are fine with roosters, in fact, hope he is one!
    [​IMG]

Here s/he is reading the paper:
    [​IMG]

2. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:[​IMG] This made me laugh!

3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:[​IMG] This made me laugh!

He is reading the paper [​IMG]

4. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Polish chickens are usualy flighty birds. All the ones I have ever had seem nervous and like to try and escape a lot. This does not mean they are a roo. Its hard to sex a polish chick. I just wait to see if it crows or lays.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Polish are really hard to sex, but there are some generalities that can indicate the possibility of a roo. Roos of almost any breed are more curious and adventurous at an early age than pullets. Without fail in any batch of birds I raise, my most curious and friendly bird (hence my favorite) is always a roo, which breaks my heart because I can't keep them.

From what I understand, Polish roos have a more mohawk hairstyle than the pullets, which have a very round poof. The pictures you posted were only from the side, but it did look like your bird was rocking the metal look [​IMG] .

I hope that helps a little!

6. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    And maybe Amy is a pullet? She is a silver laced Polish
    [​IMG]

And here is Stevie from the front, sort of - looking more mohawkish
    [​IMG]

I can probably handle two roos, not so sure - maybe time to start that Bachelor pad [​IMG]

7. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    ...and thanks everyone for helping me out with this. They are such great animals...how did I live before chicks?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm really not one to judge, my polish babies are just 5 weeks old. I have two, had three but lost one to a freak accident a few weeks ago. I'm finding them to be the most adorable, inquisitive little chickens.

One of mine, Annie, has a crest that is coming in all poofy, rounded all around. The other, Star, has a crest that is coming in all spikey and "swept back".

From this I am assuming that Annie is my pullet and Star is a cockerel.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

9. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:I am sorry for your loss. They are the most inquisitive and will hop up on my lap whenever I let them out of the brooder. Can't wait to see them as grown birds. Please post pics of yours! I like the name, Annie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by