do pullets chest bump too?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by realsis, Feb 16, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    all my kids are chest bumping! my 4 month old runs at my three month old then bumps chests, then the three month olds crouches down and stays down. then my six week olds do it too! they go running at each other, bump chests but no one crouches down and they both walk away. they are all silkies. I'm pretty sure the 4 month old is female as she has a huge rounded crest on her head. the three month old I'm not sure of but praying it's a female! do the pullers bump chest with each other also? when I had my cockerel I noticed he more or less would spur. claws out Ward. they aren't doing this, but they are chest bumping. it got me worried. will a female do this type of behavior? it's a different type of sparing than my cockerel would do. like I said he would do this claws out.... but are females known to chest bump also?

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    My first 8 were all female and yes ideed, they do chest bump. It is so silly watching the little darlin's with their heads way up and neck feathers fluffed and chests puffed up doing these dominance dances isn't it?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    yes it is! whew, good to know that pullets do it too! I did notice the difference in stance and execution of there chest bumping compared to the cockerel. he was more claws out diving instead of just running and bumping. well, I'm really Glad to hear that! I'm just praying I don't have another cockerel to rehome! these silkies are tricky buggers to sex! hopefully my luck changed for the better!

4. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    darn. i was hoping to sex our thai chicks by the chest stances; they also fly at eachother a lot now... i'd lke to be able to pick out a pair as a present for someone for some vaccines (barter) but he wants a pair... anybody know how to sex thai fighting chickens at a young age. ? i missed the first day out of the egg peak at the wing feathers...

hubby hasnt a clue either, cause they usually just wait and see.... but here in the western world 'wait and see' is not efficient enough...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by