Do pullets stress out hens so that they stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roo Boy, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Roo Boy

Roo Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    I have a few older hens that were laying fairly well until we added some pullets to the flock. Now they have shut down completely. It started with a few rubber eggs and now nada. We have tried oyster shells. Our younger hen still lays though. Any thoughts? Can older hens, 2 to 3 years old, just putter out and never start up again? They are all golden comets and RIRs and have been integrated for three weeks now.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't be surprised if the introduction stopped them for a while. Chickens just don't like change, and any little thing can stress them. It's even possible they were stressed into a mini molt.

I have some that are 4 years and still laying, not as many as when younger, but I don't think any have quit yet. They vary a lot in when they stop laying, or even if they do.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens are creatures of habit and don't do well with change. Any change, no matter how small (like just changing something on the coop) to a large change (introducing new birds) will affect laying. Also, we are coming into the time of year when your older birds will molt. They cannot lay eggs while molting, as they need all their protein stores to grow in new feathers.

I too have several 4 year old hens that are still laying.

4. Roo Boy

Roo Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks. It's good to know this info. We just started this fun hobby a few months ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by