Do pulsating veins count as "movement"?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CALI CHICK, Feb 10, 2012.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Yesterday was Day 13 and I candled a couple eggs to check on air cell size. After checking the air cell I watched also for the chick to move around a little, but didn't see much movement. However the veins were pulsating -like a heartbeat.
    Does that count as "movement" or should I be concerned that the chick has possibly quit developing or died? [​IMG]

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely life there!

3. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Yes. Pulsating is good :)

I had 2 quit on me, one was at day 8/9 and you could see how the blood stopped moving through the veins and settled along the outside. The other quitter was at day 10 and the blood pooled in toward the embryo.

4. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I candled one I'm concerned about again today (egg #8). It might have stopped developing [​IMG] because it sounds like your day 10 quitter. I can see 2 dark blobs that seem stuck to the shell (in the same place as yesterday). I couldn't see movement or even see "pulsating" in the veins in this one.

I'm almost afraid to jinx myself if I candle anymore. It doesn't have any odor so I'm leaning toward keeping it in at least until Day 18. If I don't see anything then, I might take it out. But, if I'm still not sure, I might keep it in during lockdown. [​IMG]We'll see.

5. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    I left my day 10 quitter for 2 extra days, just in case. But on the morning of day 13 when I opened the incubator the smell hit me, and I knew for sure.

6. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    At least if I open the incubator and smell something rotten?....I've got a good idea "who" it is! [​IMG] Come here, Egg #8!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by