do quail go up and down ramps.

sjaved789

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
London City

I.have three quail living in a small chicken coop like this. Their old pen got way to dirty and was old so I have them a new home. However I noticed one of them is shivering I think but they wont go inside as quail don't like using ramps. I know quails are dopey but do they at least know to go inside if they are cold? Any tips? What if I put a light or heat source inside?

Last edited:
Ok I just watched a fox walk up.to my coop. I watched with a grin on my face thinking " hah fool you can not enter my coop, you aint so crafty. I watched grinning with self amazement as the.fox ran up andripped one of my hens head off so fast that I was still grinning to myself. Note to myself ; use chicken wire always as quail like to stick their head out while getting attacked.

Last edited:

I.have three quail living in a small chicken coop like this. Their old pen got way to dirty and was old so I have them a new home. However I noticed one of them is shivering I think but they wont go inside as quail don't like using ramps. I know quails are dopey but do they at least know to go inside if they are cold? Any tips? What if I put a light or heat source inside?
Short answer is no they won't use ramps and no they don't care to go inside if they are cold. Quail think more in terms of "let me find another warm quail to cuddle with" than let me get in out of this draft.

If there is no wind blowing quail are completely fine being outside in 0 degrees F or even lower. Instead of heating the space staple plastic around the sides to block the wind.

Ok I just watched a fox walk up.to my coop. I watched with a grin on my face thinking " hah fool you can not enter my coop, you aint so crafty. I watched grinning with self amazement as the.fox ran up andripped one of my hens head off so fast that I was still grinning to myself. Note to myself ; use chicken wire always as quail like to stick their head out while getting attacked.
There are several scent "lures" you can buy to keep predators away but eventually they will catch on. If you can't shoot them, you just have to figure out how to stop them from getting in your coop. They will dig 2-3 feet underground to get at something they really want so keep that in mind.

Darn! Seriously? I got a couple nice hen pens for my quail (still growing by first batch of hatchlings, they will be ready to move outside into their permanent home next week), but these pens have ramps. So, don't bother putting light and heat in the enclosed area upstairs? they won't go up there?

Anyone using quail pens with ramps?

Thanks!

Darn! Seriously? I got a couple nice hen pens for my quail (still growing by first batch of hatchlings, they will be ready to move outside into their permanent home next week), but these pens have ramps. So, don't bother putting light and heat in the enclosed area upstairs? they won't go up there?

Anyone using quail pens with ramps?

Thanks!
Coturnix quail are ground birds and will only fly if forced. They have absolutely no desire to go upwards unless they are scared and then they just fly straight up.

Coturnix quail are ground birds and will only fly if forced. They have absolutely no desire to go upwards unless they are scared and then they just fly straight up. 

That is exactly what my quail done when a fox jumped them. Two.of them flew straight in and the other got its head stuck while trying to do it. I put chicken wire everywhere so mr fox wont be able to get in today.

To get them to go up the ramp, put their food and water upstairs for a while. Might want to lock them in the "upstairs"for a bit so they can make it part of their territory.

I have a coop with a ramp. It was built for chickens. I keep the water up there and have for weeks. They regularly go up and down the ramp to get to the water (and they are all alive so I assume they all go up there). They have also figured out they can escape up there for safety when I open the coop to collect eggs. A couple of them hang out upstairs for most of the day and seem to enjoy the quiet space. One of my quail called "Big Puff" likes to perch halfway up the ramp most of the time in order to keep an eye on things. So yeah, they do use the ramp on a regular basis and have since I put it in there. They walk up and down all day long, not just to get water. I just think they enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom