Do quail sense impending weather changes?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iheartquail, Mar 5, 2013.

1. iheartquail

iheartquail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    So curious about everyone else's experiences... Do quail sense impending weather changes and does this effect their laying?
    The reason I ask is because my birds have finally started laying, and laying pretty regularly for the past couple weeks. We are forecast for that big snowstorm to begin tonight. Yesterday, NONE of my birds laid eggs, and NONE today either!
    Coincidence? Or not?

2. Chikaby Pond

Chikaby Pond New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    That is a really interesting question and I have NO idea!! I have just ordered hatching eggs from a hatchery in Florida (I am in SC) and the breeder contacted me today to say that the birds were "holding" their eggs...not laying because of the high winds and cold!

I went along with it because the weather here has been awful too. Super high winds, very cold for this time of year.

This is a puzzle. Now, my birds here have been steady laying and I didn't notice a dip today but will make a note tomorrow. Hoping some more folks will chime in!

1 person likes this.
  3. iheartquail

iheartquail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Well, snowstorm is over! I checked for eggs several times today. A couple hours after the snow had stopped, all the birds had laid an egg! I guess my birds know when it is going to snow! Wonder if this is common?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by