Do red mites make chickens stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starforever61, Mar 20, 2011.

1. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I haven't even gotten one egg since October [​IMG] And I've noticed red mites. Is it because of that, and also where do I get the stuff to get rid of the mites?

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably at a feed store. That's where I've seen poultry dust. I've haven't used it yet but I have read you can put it in a stocking and powder your chickens with it.

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Could possibly be the mites making the hens very uncomfortable that they wont lay. Also the winter they slow down.

Have you check the coop around dusk and night time. Look at the corners, door window jams, and roosts to see if you can see them buggers moving around.

You can do a complete clean out of the coop with a hose with a nice strong sprayer on it to get into the cracks and corners. Let that dry then spray down with liquid Sevin. Once that is dry dust some of the powdered Sevin on the floors and walls and cover with fresh chips. Repeat in 10 days as it will not kill the eggs.

Don't forget to add some of the Seven dust into their favorite dust bath holes so they can dust themselves with it.

I hope that helps.

Also you can find Sevin Dust and spray at any hardware store or in the garden section of most stores.

4. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I actually see the mites ON my chickens in daylight...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by