1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do refridgerated eggs have a higher rate of birth defects?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by just2rosey, Feb 1, 2012.

1. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    I have hatched out two small batches of chicks this winter, and both times I had set a few of my own eggs which had been refridgerated. The first hatch none of the refridgerated eggs hatched; one was a clear and the other died around day 18. The second batch three eggs had been refridgerated and all hatched, but two chicks hatched with leg/foot deformities. One was severe and I had to cull it, the other is minor. I did not have any temp spikes during either hatch. Do you think that refridgerating the eggs could cause defects or deformities? What experiences have others had?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. just2rosey

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    Any thoughts? Anyone?

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I haven't noticed any difference. If they start to develop in the first place after being in the fridge, they hatch out just fine with no abnormalities in my experience.

4. just2rosey

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    Thanks. I was just trying to find a reason for the defects. I am leaning towards genetics, but have no way of proving or disproving that. My flock nutrition is excellent, I offer them free choice organic layer mash and they free range all day. I know I haven't had any temp spikes which could have caused it, so I wondered about colder temps. [​IMG] I guess I may never know.

5. gina4animals

gina4animals Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Salida, CO
    just curious - why would you even use eggs that had been refrigerated? I thought that stopped them from developing.

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I've had people want eggs to hatch when all I had was eggs in the fridge. I gave them to them and they had no problems. I've hatched them that way, too. Though I can't remember why... maybe that was when I first got an incubator.. who knows? [​IMG]

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I dont know about birth defects, but I have heard people buying store bought eggs and had successful hatching ! I will like to try next time..

8. just2rosey

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    The first hatch I did it because the dog killed my daughter's favorite pullet. [​IMG] It had been the first chick she/we ever hatched, and she was heart broken. I only had four of her eggs, two in the fridge and two fresh, so I put them all in. One was a blank, one died around lockdown, one pipped a vein and died, and the other hatched fine. My next batch was also unplanned and the day after the other's hatched. [​IMG] They are bantam eggs so I figured I had nothing to lose by putting the ones from the fridge in, too. Two weeks after the defects the cold struck me as being a possible factor. I am not sure that those two chicks came from the fridgerated eggs. It was just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by