1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Rhode Islands have black feathers on their necks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sauers003, May 3, 2016.

1. Sauers003

Sauers003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    One of our seven week old pullets has black feathers on her back/saddle. The rest of the chicks are all varying shades of red, so I was just curious. She doesn't have any roo-ish characteristics either. Is this a normal thing for Rhode Islands? Chicken genetics are a new thing for me, still learning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I have no experience with RIR myself, but my mom has a few and one does have black feathers and she is a hen.

3. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I am not sure about her other ones, I just noticed it on that particular one. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Since she's from a hatchery, her genetics may not be pure for being a RIR, but she's definitely a pullet [​IMG]

5. Sauers003

Sauers003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    That's what I was thinking..that somewhere along the line she probably has something else mixed in. And yes, not even the hint of a boy. Either way, she's one of my favorites!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by