Do RiR hen's have eggs earlier than other breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Emron's chicken's, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emron's chicken's

Emron's chicken's Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    All the time I've herd that RIR hens make the first eggs earlier than other breeds. Is that true.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Emron's chicken's :

All the time I've herd that RIR hens make the first eggs earlier than other breeds. Is that true.

Yes! Although there are exceptions the hatchery bred RIRs have been bred to be very early layers (and, of course, the sexlinks bred from RIRs and NHRs). They aren't the only early laying breed though. My BRs laid very early and I know that Leghorns lay very early as well.​

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    In my case it was not so...my RIR pullet waited until 32 weeks to give me the coveted first egg... [​IMG]

4. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    This week, at 22 wks old, I got 2 eggs from my BR and 1 egg yesterday from my RIR, atleast that's who I think I got them from:rolleyes:
    My BR has been squatting for a week and a half and my RIR has been for less than a week now. I wish that my BO's ( I have 2 ), would get with the program:)

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Not mine! My RIR is 20 weeks and NO eggs! Her comb and wattles are huge and blood red. Hopefully soon! I've been waiting forever.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by