do RIR male chicks have smaller/slower growing tail feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crunchynut, Oct 6, 2011.

1. crunchynut

crunchynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    I have 5, 5ish week old RIRs. 4 have very well established tails and the last has a tiny stumpy tail. I'm hoping that it is a he, and I have 4 girls and a boy, rather than 4 boys and a girl!

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I would say it is the other way around, as RIR mature the males will develop longer tail feathers and often will have the give-a-way green tail feathers.

3. crunchynut

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    I know that eventually the males have larger tails, but I'm asking about young chicks. I know in some of the other breeds I've raised the males feather in more slowly than the females even though they later end up with larger tail feathers.

4. Domes Farm

Domes Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    SE WI
    In my experiance with heritage/breeder quality rhode island reds or almost any quality birds for that matter, the females will feather faster than the males. I had several RIR's and Brahmas grow out this year and the females almost always grew out their tail feathers faster. As they reach maturity the males feathers will eventaully grow longer.

5. crunchynut

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    Thank you. That's what I was hoping.

6. GAteacher99

GAteacher99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Valdosta, GA

7. DeedeeGIbbs

DeedeeGIbbs New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    If I feather sexed mine correctly at 2-3 days old, I should have 3 females and one male. The females are growing their feathers much faster than the cockerel. This is assuming I sexed them correctly. Mine are mixed breed though If that matters. Rooster is a polish. So I ended up with a polish/turkin mix and the others are Polish....and not sure. They all are currently growing Mohawks. :p

8. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Feather sexing is correct 80% of the time. The females grow feathers faster specially the tail feathers.

9. bhwk40

bhwk40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2013
    North-East Ohio
    In my experiance with heritage/breeder quality rhode island reds or almost any quality birds for that matter, the females will feather faster than the males.  I had several RIR's and Brahmas grow out this year and the females almost always grew out their tail feathers faster.  As they reach maturity the males feathers will eventaully grow longer.
    [/quote
    have any pics? i have some brahmas that one is feathering out way faster than the other two also the tail is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by