do roos dust bathe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lalaland, Jan 11, 2009.

1. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    just curious - I chased the chickens outside today to spend some time in the sun and after a couple of weeks inside, the hens were so happy to dust bathe - dirt was flying, they were rolling around. The two roos scratched around, but I never saw them dust bathe, even after the hens were finished. Does anyone have roosters that take dust baths?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Yes, roosters dust bathe but, perhaps, yours were busy guarding the girls! My roosters always took dust baths with his girls.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine do!

4. I walked into the barn one day and thought my bid ol' chochin roo had meet his maker. He was about as flat as a chicken can get in the dirt.

5. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    yep!

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, they usually wait till the girls have finished and then take their turn. They don't seem to bathe as often, but it usually is a long one, and not a worry about the water they are wasting! [​IMG]

bigzio

7. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Our little roo would wait patiently until the girls had had their turn before having his own dust bath [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by