Do roos ever keep house???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epona4, Dec 5, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Yesterday when I put my chickens back in the coop I threw a flake of hay in and under the "nesting box". (It's a temp situation till I can get a good box set up, so right now it looks like a bunk bed!)

Anyway, a while later I hear an odd "cooing" sound. Obviously from one of the chickens. It was actually quite pleasant. I peek in the window and can't figure out who is doing it. I open the door. Ginger (sussex hen) is right by the door. Figure it must be her. Nope, not her. I look around and saw everyone except Tiny, the BR banty roo. I find him under the box, cooing, looking like he has been making a nest!

Is he trying to impress his ladies or has he taken up interior design??

2. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I've heard of roosters doing that. They get in and try to entice the ladies to build a nest and get to laying [​IMG]
    There was a thread on it long ago, and its cute as all get out but fairly normal. He's a good boy!

3. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:That is so cool! I'm tickled because this is our "Tiny Terror". So I'm glad he's being all domestic now. [​IMG] Maybe he'll encourage them to lay earlier than I'm expecting!

Thanks!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Keeping house, I had a Ameraucana roo, big guy even, get into nest box and pack the hay clucking to draw the hens in. In the ways of nature if a roo can encourage his girls to lay eggs, then there will be a next generation. So he should be sweet talking them girls, having new birds isn't as easy on her part! [​IMG]

5. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Amazing isn't it? I'm glad to hear others have experienced their rooster doing this.

6. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    To me, the best part of all that was his "sweet talking". So unlike his raspy little crow!

Went in this morning to see how they were doing and peaked in at his nest.
    I could tell he'd been back in there working on it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  7. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Looks like Tiny's efforts worked! Might have to change his name to Casanova!

Just got this from our Sussex!
    [​IMG]

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:What a guy!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by