Do roo's go through "puberty"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iowa Roo Mom, May 4, 2009.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I have a roo that is about to be a year old and I looked out the window today and he was "dry humping" a piece of carpet! [​IMG] Please don't delete... it's not a joke! I'm going to get him a couple of hens when the coop is finished... but is this normal behavior for an isolated "adolescent" roo? [​IMG]

2. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think a year is past adolescent. I do think other have posted of their roos of various ages using alternative means when a hen is not available. Hurry and get him some girls. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh boy! do they ever and it's not alot of fun. They usually go thru it alot younger than your young man though.
    One BYCer has a roo that has a thing for dish soap bottles. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes, that's exactly what he was doing. I remember reading a post where one member's roo "loved" his dish soap bottle. They will find something they like until they get some hens.

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Ok, well thats good to know. Maybe my boy was a late bloomer! I guess he's more like 9 mo. But you're right.... well past adolescent! [​IMG]

6. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:LOL we basically typed the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by