Do Roos have vents?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amysue2012, Aug 18, 2008.

1. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Ok this may sound really stupid but Im trying to sex my Orpingtons. They are starting to lay eggs. And I know at least one is crowing. I think I can tell by their combs and waddles, but is their a way I can sex them and be definite at this point.

I feel kinda silly asking this but I dont exactly pay that much attention to my chickens butts. Do roos have vents? (I've never looked). I just want to know for sure that I am getting rid of roos and not hens.

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Yes roos have vents. That's where the poop comes out. That's also where uhm, his seed comes out when he mates his girls.

Experts can sex day old chicks by looking up their vents, but it has to be done before they start eatting. You can check your sexing of them by the pointyness of their neck feathers. (Roos are pointy, pullets are round)

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yup if they didn't have a vent they would explode [​IMG] Hey don't worry about asking that...I didn't know that when i first started checking out chickens either! Someone once told me here...NO question is a stupid question if it's helping you learn more [​IMG]

4. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    lol ok thanks like I said I've never checked out a chickens butt. I just wasnt sure.

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    at this point i say to u always remember " the only stupid question is the one you do not ask" everyone must learn and u must ask to do that so welcome and ask away hahaha [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by