Do roos mature faster & do worms give 'em the squirts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NCVic, Jul 31, 2011.

1. NCVic

NCVic Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    I have a "flock" of 6 RIR and one of them has matured completely in less than 5 months. Full comb, etc. I believe it is crowing & saw it go after one of the others. The rest are just now starting to develop their combs, etc and I am thinking this must be a roo but see so many postings about girls acting like boys, cannot be sure. Wondering if the males mature faster.
    Also, he/she seems to have the squirts all the time! I tried cutting off all treats & it did not change, I tried the wormer and it did not change. I just saw a post that said to put Dawn in the water for worms so will try that & see if he/she gets better. Anyone know why one of the 6 with the same food, water & treats has the squirts and the rest don't? I need to get rid of this bird but am hesitant to give it to anyone if it is sick and it is not ACTING sick at all. Is pushy, mouthy and arrogant! Gets awful hard to clean up after him/her!!
    Thanks for all of the good info. Tho hard to find sometimes, most of my questions are answered without posting & I appreciate that more than I can say as a newbee![​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Please don't put dish soap in your chickens drinking water. If you think they have the squirts now....

Yes, every roo I have ever had has matured faster than the hens.

My thinking on the one with constant loose stools... A type of worm that your wormer didn't target or as it is here, all my birds have loose stools right now. It's extremely hot and they are taking in much more water than they are food. Have you seen this bird at the feeder often?

3. NCVic

NCVic Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    He is almost always first in line for water and food. Does that make a difference? He rushed for the treats which was why I cut them off for awhile.
    Thanks for the info, will not put anything else in the water

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What type of wormer did you use? Was it something like wazine (only gets the roundworms) or a broad spectrum wormer.

5. NCVic

NCVic Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Yeah, Wazine was all I could find for poultry in the wormer department. What should I be using? Thanks again for the help, I sure appreciate it![​IMG]

6. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    I suspect that they are drinking more water in all of this heat if you are in this nasty heat. Ours are.

Dave

7. NCVic

NCVic Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    ok, I was just concerned because the others seem to be ok, nothing different. I have sat and watched them and he just seems to be the only one with the issue. We are in the heat & I worry about them. I work from 4am to 12:30 pm so cannot do anything about water and food until I get home, stumbling around in the dark at 3am is just not going to happen so I make sure they have lots of food and water before I go to bed.
    We have chlorine in our water and I try to let it sit for awhile so the chlorine can dissipate a little before I give it to the girls or the houseplants for that matter! Could he be sensitive to the additives in the water? I know some people are, I guess hens & roosteres could be too, right?
    I am also concerned that I have a limited wormer that might not be doing the job for them. Is there another one I should use? The feed store seems to cater to horses, pigs, goats and cows! Hard to find stuff for my girls.
    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it more than I can say

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:There are broad spectrum wormers you can use. Most are cattle wormers used "off label" for chickens, because of the lack of broad spectrum wormers marketed exclusively for chickens. Two that come to mind are valbazen (which I use) and eprinex.

You can find out more about these wormers by doing a search here on BYC, using those names as your keywords. Here's two threads to get you started:

Valbazen:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427171

Eprinex:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=438315

9. NCVic

NCVic Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Thanks again. I will do the search and get what I need. Do not want them to suffer if there is anything I can do to prevent it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by