1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do roos often roll around on the ground?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stone_family3, Aug 12, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I've never seen Bruno (15 ish weeks) roll around and rub on the ground. He does stand if you approach him and walk fine. Normal?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Very normal - Dust bathing or even just enjoying the warm sun.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You say you've never seen him do it, but he stands up when you approach him? I'm a little confused.

But I *think* you are talking about dust bathing, all chickens do it. First time I saw it, I went tearing out the door thinking they were dead! [​IMG] Some are subtle about it, some dang near bury themselves!

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Well when I saw him today I freaked and went towards the run and he got up and took a few steps between going back to his business (rolling in the dirt). I had to leave and when I came back he was doing it again.

I actually recorded it because I didn't know if it was normal. Now I kinda feel stupid [​IMG]

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    When you first see it you think they are having a seizure or something . Funny little critters. [​IMG]

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Yes they are, he definitely seemed to like rubbing his head on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by