Do roos split duties?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EggyErin, Sep 28, 2011.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    Or do they each maintain their own little worlds? I have two Silkie roos and I can't really tell what each one does. One is the predominant crower and day announcer but in the evening, goes into the coop when the early girls do. The other patrols in front of the coop for a while after all the others are in and waits until my Golden Campine is positioned in her roosting tree. He always seems to be on the make. The boys get along well and seem to spend a lot of time in the same group. I'd like to know for curiosity's sake.

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    My dominant rooster is always the last in the coop. For awhile he was preventing some from entering, but I put a stop to that.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two flocks that free range together but live in seperate coops.

Before I've had two roos that stayed with their own flocks, then the younger of the two decided to start mating my much larger hens with some interesting results in chicks.

This past week I received two young banty roos from a BYCer. I'm letting them decide where they want to be. The first night they stayed in the coops I wanted them in. Second night they swapped coops. Third night they stayed in one of the coops together. I guess one of the roos - a phoenix X - decided he didn't like sharing a coop so he has slept in the coop with my brahma girls, who are about 4 Xs his size ever since.

Both are free ranging with all the hens and both are working together as predator protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by