Do roosters chase hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texaschickmama, Oct 21, 2007.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I was outside observing my chickens, and Gumbo, the big roo, or I think he is was chasing like herding all the chickens. I don't know if he was chasing them, or herding them. Anyone have any ideas. Also, do roosters cluck? I mean what kind of a noise do they make other than crow?

2. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    One of my Roosters, King, is always chasing the hens. He really enjoys the mating ritual. Other than that, I've noticed that my chickens do tend to travel through the yard in groups and the roosters are usually leading the pack.

As far as noises a rooster makes, I think they make the same general noises that the hens make in addition to the crowing. Mine sometimes growl... [​IMG]

3. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out this guy. I am looking for a crow or an egg, not sure which yet. He does growl, too. [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yes, they do chase and herd the hens, thats part of their job as rooster.

Roosters can make a wide range of noises.
    They somethimes "sing" to the hens, making trilling noises, they have a noise that alerts the hens to take cover when they spot a preditor.

They get very verbal when they get mad, and you'll know it too!

They make every noise a hen does plus more.

5. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks, I did notice that everytime something caught his eye, he would do this loud cluck sound. Just trying to figure this guy or girl out. [​IMG]

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Just wait. When the roo starts to echo a hen that is laying (theory is he's masking her location from Bad Things) the backyard can get pretty noisy. Kinda like a call and response cacophony.

7. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I'm just watching all this and learning myself ... fascinating stuff ...

But today, it started to rain, and I think what my Jap cockerel Shogun was trying to do was herd all the pullets into the coop? He kept running out, and running round them, and going in with a few, then going back out for more. Usually he's the last one in at night, too.

My little partridge rock bantam cockerels have started making long drawn-out growly noises when we pick up any pullet. They watch us and keep the noise up while we are holding them. It sounds kinda threatening ... I'm waiting to see if they will become aggressive at all. I hope not. So far our three little cockerels are all firmly subordinate to the humans around here.

I'm loving watching them grow up and start acting more like roos though. But I'm still waiting for one to "share" a treat. The closest I get is that Shogun watches the pullets eat for a while before he gets his, and keeps the partridge rock banties away. But it's still pretty much every bird for him/her self.

trish

8. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, he is the boss. He will round them up for bed, help feed the babies, break up any arguments, use his "siren" when theres birds of prey around, and be a perfect gentleman spreading the food around to all his girls!
    Then come springtime, he will become a snorting noseflaring bull!! run for cover! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by