Do roosters cluck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poppycock, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    I suppose this question identifies me as a total newbie to chickens, but I've got a 2 month old Buff Orp who has a pink comb that is about 1/2 inch tall, with waddles too who I've been thinking is a roo. I keep waiting to hear the crow, but I hear clucking coming from him/her. The reason I have been assuming he is a he is because I have another BO who is the same age and only has a tiny comb, and it's pale yellow. So, do roosters cluck as well as crow? [​IMG]

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Hmmm...well...kind of. My roosters will "cluck" and "talk" to his girls when he finds food or good treats for them to eat.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I was going to say the same thing that Asher just said. [​IMG]

4. Poppycock

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    Well, thanks you guys...I guess the verdict is still out then on whether it's Babs or Bob.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Can you post a pic of him/her? One where we can see the entire head, close up of head, and body ? Also feet. LOL There are some pretty good guessers on here who are usually right on with sexing the birds by looking at the feathers, legs and heads.

6. ChixFlix

ChixFlix Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    I'm LOL about this topic!

I have a HEN who for the first time yesterday tried to CROW! She got two notes out before she quit.

Plus she sometimes grabs other hens by the neck and stands on them!

No, for sure she is a hen...but she's the Boss Heather (I have 4 very bossy hens, I call them the Heathers after that early "mean girls" movie...)

We had a rooster, a Polish, and the Heathers did not like him so they kept pecking his beautiful top hat off...and they forced me to dispatch the roo, it was just too hard to keep them separated every day. Plus not really fair to the roo, since he only got to go out for a few hours in the evenings.

Oh well, crazy chicken stories!

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    All my chickens cluck, roosters and hens alike. Though, if you would like help on sexing, you could always take pictures and post them in the "Breeds and Gender" section.

-Kim

8. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    My EE roo clucks............ He even sets in the nest the girls lay in............. I think he is looking for a new nest as well because I see him checking spots out laying in them and clucking while the girls surround him.......... And when He gets up one of the girls try it out ........... all the while He does a really quiet clucking almost a purring.....lol

9. Poppycock

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    I've been out painting the inside of the coop getting ready to get the girls (and maybe boy) out of the watermelon box in the garage and into their new digs 0 haven't had time to be on the computer. I'll try and get a picture of the clucker tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by