1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Roosters determine the sex of the chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KC Rob, Mar 17, 2016.

1. KC Rob

KC Rob Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    I was curious, does the male determine the sex of the offspring, as in humans? I ask because I am hatching my 3rd set of eggs from my Rhode Island Red Roo and for the third time I am having a very high ratio of pullets to cockerels. The first hatch was the Rhode Island crossed with my barred rock hens to make a black sex link and I hatched 9 eggs, 6 pullets and 3 cockerels. Flushed with success, I did it again and this time hatched 11 eggs, 9 pullets (!) and 2 cockerels. My third hatch is 13 eggs, this time the Red crossed with my Silver Laced Wyandottes to make a red sex link, and it is still early, but so far 4 chicks have hatched and 3 are pullets. I may be counting my chicks before they hatch (yeah, I just said that) but in the early going it looks like I am set to have another pullet heavy hatch. I am wondering if I have a magic rooster that produces females at a much higher rate!

1 person likes this.
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    No the hens determine the sex in chickens. So you can thank your girls! [​IMG]

3. KC Rob

Jun 29, 2015
    Well, my girls are doing a great job then!

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL [​IMG]Have them come talk to my girls!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What ever is in your water, perhaps you could bottle it and sell it! You'll need a catchy name for it, like "pullet maker"... or something!

1 person likes this.
  6. KC Rob

Jun 29, 2015
    5th chick has hatched and it looks like it is another girl! I can't be sure until she fluffs out, but she is definitely darker than the pale yellow cockerel that hatched earlier. We are at 4 to 1 in favor of the pullets! My wife reminded me though, in our past couple hatches, the boys came on strong later in the hatch, the girls came out first.

7. KC Rob

Jun 29, 2015
    3 more eggs hatched over night, 2 boys and 1 girl so I am up to 5-3 in favor of the pullets. The boys are starting to catch up. I have 3 more eggs that have pipped (one is zipping) and 2 eggs that aren't doing anything yet so I have a little ways to go before the final tally.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

I am tempted to change my avatar to iron man just for when I comment in here...... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Have you heard of the 'experiment' going on to determine from the shape of the eggs, determining pullet or cockerel, "Sexing Eggs".

I've been following it & with your HENS you may want to check it out, maybe fun. Comparing eggs from a single hen....Rounder eggs = Pullets Pointer eggs = Cockerel not as a group.

What would be interesting is if the pullets from your "pullet producing hens" also produce majority pullets, you're in BUSINESS! I'm sure your fertile eggs/chicks could/would be a SELLING item :) Enjoy your HENS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by