Do roosters do that?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red rosecomb, Nov 16, 2008.

1. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Oh my gosh,what are my roosters doing?My new pekin rooster that i got 3 weeks back and then introduced today is really strange!

When he 1st came out all was normal he done that little coutship dance thing to one of my hens and then he done it to that hens child, a young cockeral with all its brightly coloured feathers, rooster voice and everything!!!!

I read that some birds can be bisexual at times,but i didnt know chickens were included. and this was not the first time it happened,it also happened with my lost sebright mix rooster and two other young cockerals( they are at a nice farm right now)

Is this normal with chickens or is it somekind of fase [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is sometimes normal when they are just getting introduced or are still young. We have had many roos that try to mate with each other. They usually only do it a few times before they figure it out.

3. red rosecomb

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Okay, so its definitly nothing to worry about, the new roo was soooooooo close to mounting on that young cockeral.Has this always happened to all your roos or was it just once?

4. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:I didn't know birds could be BI to begin with.

I know when two same sex dogs act that out it's just a show of dominance and really nothing at all to do with sex or reproduction. I would have assumed the same with the birds.

Too Funny! Chickens are Soo Funny! They're always doing something odd or crazy. I

5. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    They aren't bi...just curious. I believe the old cock is just establishing the youngers place in the ranks...The little roo needs to know he is in line not the head of the line.[​IMG]

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

that courtship dance isnt a courtship dance,, its a dominance dance, he's making them move to where he wants them, to show them he is bigger and can "herd" them.

EDIT: ta say,,, some will even "mount" another roo to show HE'S bigger,,, their not bi hahaha

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    ooook

so it is very much like the canine world.

I would hate to explain to my husband that our roosters have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy

8. red rosecomb

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Thanx for the help because really, here i am a teenage boy who loves chickens and life, gets teased enough about having and loving chickens AND NOW this odd behaviour that my relatives saw from the roo

They kept on asking what is wrong with my roo and i had no answer to give. As if my life isnt hard enough. [​IMG]

Did any of you get teased about loving chickens?

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hahaha,,, all my friends tease me,,, till dinner time,, or i show them my wallet,, or breakfast,,, or until i mention how if the economy stops,, i have years of food in my yard [​IMG]

EDIT: ta say,,,RED Rosecomb ,, you should use the edit button,, and take your age OFF your post,, is not a safe thing to do on the internet [​IMG]

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

They are proving they are the dominant bird. Many animals do it, they are not bisexual at all. [​IMG] Heifers do it often in a barnyard and they are NOT any more bisexual, they are setting up their pecking (mooing?) order. Dogs (and wolves in the wild) do it again as a dominance thing, not because they bark with a lisp.

[edit] wow in the time it took me to pound the keys there were a BUNCH of replies! lol. Chickens are fun, enjoy them! ...and show some humor about their teasing, it will lose it's sting, and maybe they'll get interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by