Do roosters get lonely?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smithshyre, Feb 26, 2013.

1. smithshyre

smithshyre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    We just got a rooster but don't want fertilized eggs yet so he is separated
    in a spare coop. Can he get lonely like a turkey can?

Smithshyre

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    He'll be fine. News to me that Turleys get lonely. If you want fertilized eggs at some point why not just put him with the females now & save the trouble of maintaining 2 pens?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Lots of misconceptions (haha) about fertile eggs. Why don't you want them?

You can't tell the difference unless you have a trained eye.

You won't crack an egg open and have a partially developed chick.

4. smithshyre

smithshyre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Yes I have read in several sources that a turkey needs companionship and can die of loneliness. You disagree? I don't know I have only raised 6 turkeys.

I don't have the rooster with the hens cause he harassess them. Somedays I have to leave them in the coop/run for much of the day. I wouldn't want him in there all day?

I'm new to byc, please give me advice.

5. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    The rooster will be fine.

6. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Roos do what they were designed to do, put boy stuff where it can get to the eggs.
    It may look pretty crazy to our eyes, but its successful to chickens for a long time. As long as the girls backs are fully feathered and he doesnt peck them there's nothing to worry about. If he is mean and doesnt do his dance before he jumps on then maybe its time for a new rooster. I'm always one to give a chance to a roo if they dont understand people are freinds, but if hes mean to the girls that's making him pointless.
    Other than babies a roosters job is to be nice, find food, and protect the flock from danger, not be dangerous.

To get back to the question yes a rooster can get lonely, however all they do is crow A Lot more and it wont hurt them long term.
    Do be prepared for some aggressive mating when he is put back in as he will have a lot of hormones running through him just like any man who has been cooped up alone a long time. As they age they get a better handle on the hormone surges, but a youg guy is in a tough spot understaning what he should do and what he wants to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by