Do Roosters get more aggressive through maturity?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillychicks123, Dec 16, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I have one five month old silkie Roo from which Ive had since he was about 10 weeks old. He is very docile and friendly (not sure if its because he likes people, or cant see because of his gigantic top hatXD) and is just starting to crow. Once he is fully grown, will he become more aggressive and stand his ground? Or will he most likely still be calm and friendly. Im not too worried about him becoming more aggressive however, mainly because since he cant see too well, he can never peck me or flog me haha. He has never tried to flog me but will occasionally try to peck me hand as I gently try to guide him back to the coop after playing in the yard for an hour or two, but always seems to misses. Also, do roosters need a special type of feed? Right now all of my chickens are just on a layena laying crumbles. I will not use him to reproduce either, just as a flock protector and family pet:). Heres the cheeky monkey himself: [​IMG]
    Which name do you think is better for him, Cecal or Horatio. His old name was CeeCee (when i thought he was still a she)

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He's a silkie mix. Pure silkies have silkied feathers. Whether or not he stays friendly, I've found it will depend on the cockerel's individual personality. Most of mine have been human friendly or at least indifferent. Those that were human aggressive became dinner.

I feed my birds an All-Flock/Flock Raiser multi purpose feed. I can give it to everyone from the day olds up to the old farts. However in the past I fed layer feed to older birds including roosters and they did fine on it.

3. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    ok thank you very much

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    As he comes into his hormones, usually nearer spring, he will get aggressive then if he's going to. As a rule, even aggressive roos back off as they age. Almost never does a sweet roo turn mean as he ages, and that would be from extenuating circumstances.

I feed all my chickens flock grower with oyster shell on the side for the layers. As laying season gets into full swing, I mix layer ration into the grower feed. Roosters eat so little, the layer feed shouldn't affect them. No one here has ever stated otherwise.

5. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by