Do Roosters get more or less "tame" the older they get?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by slhgoodman, Oct 5, 2013.

1. slhgoodman

slhgoodman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    [​IMG]
    I have 8 chickens that were suppose to be all hens. I have ended up with 7 hens and one Rooster. He is beautiful and I love the sounds he makes, however he has started to get aggressive only towards me. They are all 20 weeks old. I was wondering if it would get better as time goes on and he's not a teenager anymore, or will it get worse? I don't really want to get rid of him, but I don't like having to watch my back when I go in the run. Any help is appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    He really is still a "teenager" in the sense that the whole hormone thing is still a new phenomenon to him. Yes, a lot of rrosters do calm down as they get older, probably up to a year old, maybe a little more. He may never be tame in the sense of sitting in your lap, but he will hopefully quit attacking and just keep his distance. In the meantime I would walk toward him, stare him down, back him down, til he backs off. So far this has been enough with mine to avoid actual attacks, til they matured a bit. The idea is to let him know you are the head roo, not him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by