Do roosters get more protective when hens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by umanduhbree, Aug 11, 2011.

1. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    I have black australorps, and our rooster has been so docile...well until today when he attacked my fiancee. Do roosters get more aggressive when the hens are about the age where they lay eggs? My hens should be laying in the next week or so. This just caught us both off guard, as we have raised these ones from chicks and nothing like this has ever happened.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes that indeed happens.... Some roos take the job way to seriously and end up at freezer camp. Others can be very protective of the flock, but never aggressive when it comes to humans, some just go totally psycho [​IMG]

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

My neighbors had this roo last year that kept attacking EVERYONE including my at the time 4yr old. They got rid of him too. He was a very nice looking guy, but bad attitude. You would litterally have to get your soccer kick ready cuz when this guy would come at you, he was coming to do harm. Its really funny thou, when I had to get him to stop attacking my boy, I think he met his match, cuz I ran at that sucker and scared the crap out of him. He never went by my son again after that, just ruffed up his feathers and made that noise they make warning you away. Rotten sucker.

4. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Partly it is a matter of being more protective, but since they hens and rooster are the same age, it is likely he is suffering from testosterone poisoning. BA's are generally even tempered, though there are some crazy ones too. Read the posts on aggressive roosters and decide on a plan of action. Since this just started, there is a good chance you can train him to not be human aggressive. I have taught my roosters who is alpha, and they are not it. They know I am alpha, and I haven't had an attitude attack in months, DH has finally established his status as an alpha, but he had to do it, it wasn't something that could be assigned. He now simply places his hand on the back of Oakley (the NN rooster) when he starts growling. Oakley growls when he doesn't like something, and the gentle touch calms him. Anyway, no matter what, there is no reason to tolerate a mean rooster. There are plenty of good ones that need a home. I would guess I have at least half a dozen that are headed for the freezer simply because nature gives me too many males when I hatch eggs. How long does it take for him to calm down? I would say about 3 weeks. If there is not significant improvement in that time period, I would find a new roo.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Agreed with greensearcher. He is becoming sexual mature and testosterone levels are spiraling upwards. Give him an attitude adjustment to confirm that humans are higher in the order of things, and he may adapt. It's best to nip this behavior immediately at onset as it tends to escalate when they get away with being 'the BOSS'.

6. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    Thanks for advice. He seems to only be macho only when Mike goes into the chicken area. We tried a couple experiments today and when I was there he was running up to me just like always does. So he must just have a thing against Mike or he's scared of my dog, as she follows me out to the coop everytime [​IMG]. But we will keep an eye on him and see if we can knock Alpha down a peg or send him to the freezer to join a few of his brothers.

7. chickenwithlips94

chickenwithlips94 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Is he ever aggressive with you? I've had very docile roosters that went after people who they didn't know but never were mean to me at all. It could be he's just trying to protect his family. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by