Do roosters go infertile in the heat?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by denasfarm, Jul 12, 2008.

1. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I have a Black Silkie rooster in with 4 white and 1 Black silke hens.
    I hatched 7 chicks from him about a month ago, This batch of 9 eggs under two hens candled completely empty at 2 weeks. All duds.
    Has he gone infertile? Is it the Alabama summer Heat? We have seen him mating with all 5 hens. He is only a year old and not molting.
    Ideas?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Can't help you much here, but I do have a few questions. Is this the first of his eggs you have tried to hatch? He may be infertile anyway or it may just be the heat. I had an infertile rooster that looked huge, but when I realized he was infertile and tried to dress him for the pot, he had a tumor the size of a softball. I would try at least a few more eggs and wait until cooler weather before I gave up on him. [​IMG]

3. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    No I have 7 chicks that are ALL his-No way they are anyone elses. They are about 12 weeks old and very healthy chicks.(Time sure flies by!My Marans are a month old)

Thats why I was so surprized that all the eggs were duds. I chunked all the duds and stuck 5 more of (his eggs) under one hen to try again. The other hen got Americauna eggs instead. (shes sitting there anyway might as well hatch something)

I have a broody Americauna hen with 7 americauna/silkie mix eggs from a white silkie rooster. Those candled very much alive and growing.

I am hopeful the 5 new eggs will hatch. He has such pretty chicklets.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'm no expert but it kinda makes sense. Heat kills sperm. But I think it would have to be really hot for that like.. above 95 or something. But like I said, I'm no expert.

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I noticed the same thing with my Wyandottes. The spring eggs were really fertile, but after it started heating up, I'm lucky if 1/2 to 1/3 of the eggs laid are fertile. I just thought it was because my guy is about 2 years now and maybe he wasn't as "potent" as he used to be. I've also wondered about the heat as a possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by