do roosters loose there hackles and saddles during there molt?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Harli50, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    do roosters loose there hackles and saddles during there molt? because ive seen some realy long saddles and hackles and feel kinda dumb not knowing [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:yes the do

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Mine never have....mainly they have lost the roo tail feather or two, some feathers at the base of their tail and a scattering on the neck....but never very much at all.

4. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    well part of the question is do they loose then during every molt or every other molt? or do they just grow longer the older they get?

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:my polish do it every molt

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've never seen mine lose them at all....so I guess they just didn't molt and regrow those particular feathers when I would have noticed. Maybe it happens a few at time? Not sure.

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Depends on a lot of factors. Some being: Climate or temperature, Breed of chicken, Individual chicken, Diet. Mostly in my are (MS) it all depends on the rooster. Some molt a lot heavier than others. High protein diet, particularly in the hot summers.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes roosters molt all feathers. Some birds drop almost all of their feathers in a full blown naked-making type of molt while others just replace feathers a few at a time.

9. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Long-tailed breeds such as Phoenix, etc. don't molt their tails, hackles, or saddles though.

10. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    AccentOnHakes wrote:
    Long-tailed breeds such as Phoenix, etc. don't molt their tails, hackles, or saddles though.

what happens if they get pulled out? will they grow back?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by