Do roosters make eggs icky?

Chirping
Dec 3, 2015
My grandma told me that if you are eating your eggs not to get roosters because they make the eggs icky. True or False?

Oh, dear. Your grammy perhaps didn't like the little blood spot that sometimes appears in fertilized eggs. It is perfectly harmless and should just be eaten along with the cooked egg. Science has proved that a fertilized egg (from having an active rooster around) doesn't make it more nutritious.
Roosters are wonderful to have. They protect the hens. I would I could have one but our little town doesn't allow them.Too noisy!

All due respect to the above poster, but fertilization doesn't cause blood spots. Blood spots are present in lots of commercial (infertile) eggs, that's why they're candled and those eggs are pulled to be used in bakeries, etc instead of being sold in cartons.

Even experienced folks often have a hard time telling if an egg is fertile when they crack it open. It's very difficult to tell the difference.

The main difference between store bought eggs and backyard eggs is the candling. From your backyard birds, rooster or not, you get eggs all natural, so you get the glitches that sometimes happen. Those include blood spots, meat spots, weird shells, lack of shell, double yolks, bumps/ridges on the shells, and other weird things.

All due respect to the above poster, but fertilization doesn't cause blood spots. Blood spots are present in lots of commercial (infertile) eggs, that's why they're candled and those eggs are pulled to be used in bakeries, etc instead of being sold in cartons.

Even experienced folks often have a hard time telling if an egg is fertile when they crack it open. It's very difficult to tell the difference.

The main difference between store bought eggs and backyard eggs is the candling. From your backyard birds, rooster or not, you get eggs all natural, so you get the glitches that sometimes happen. Those include blood spots, meat spots, weird shells, lack of shell, double yolks, bumps/ridges on the shells, and other weird things.
Sometimes my chickens lay an egg with a cracker jack toy inside.

Back
Top Bottom