Do roosters molt their feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CALI CHICK, Jan 11, 2012.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    [​IMG]This might be the "dumbest question of the year"!

We read so much about the hens going through a bad molt, stop laying eggs awhile and how they need extra protein to grow back new feathers...but what about roosters - Do they molt too? (I only have pullets)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes roosters molt as well.

3. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They do, and they look SO pathetic, cause they're usually so handsome!

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Following is the incomplete moulting sequence of one of my game roosters. In first image he is about 8 months post-hatch. His feathers are just fully set (no longer growing) so he could be called a bull-stag. The next image shows where the lateral tail feathers have been dropped. The way a chicken's tail folds, the lateral feathers appear to be on the bottom. The third images shows all bull-stag feathers have been shed and the lateral tail feathers are coming in. The subsequent images are showing the feathers continueing to develope. Notice the new feathers are longer than the bull-stag set. He was a late hatch rooster so his stag feathers are a bit shorter than they would be in a cock which is a fully mature male. Last image shows him about 2 weeks shy of having his cock feathering fully set. He would have been truely impressive if a bad series of events did not take him out. Will repeat sequence with one of his sons that is also late hatch. Wing feathers were being replaced starting a good four months prior to loss of first tail feathers and the last replacement of wing feathers would have been complete at about time tail feathers were fully set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    The pictures are wonderful. He was a very handsome boy...I especially love the shiny green tail feathers! It probably isn't a big deal for a regular barnyard rooster to molt. But, I imagine it can be problematic for someone who shows their birds. Someday I would like to have a flock of Silkies (to show) including a rooster. I'm kind of scared of regular roosters, but the 4 silkies I had were ALL roosters -and they were very sweet. Unfortunately they could crow, like any other roo, so they had to go!

7. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

At roughly what age do roos begin their molt?

8. musicalmommy

musicalmommy New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    ocklawaha Florida
    Do the roosters personalities change when they are in molt. Mine seems like his hurt or sick. But the only thing off about him is he is missing the feathers between his wings.

9. Toetwo

Toetwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Darn, I wish there had been a reply to this last post as i have a rooster who might be molting, is much more reserved than he was, has taken to sleeping on the floor and thus is getting shat on. He holds his wings out from his body a bit. No mites that I can tell. Not sure what to think or do. . ..

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Mine all seem to change their behavior, including my roo. They generally seem less active, lie around more, and eat less, like they don't feel well.

Holding wings away from body is usually an effort to cool off, in my experience. I have not seen that related to molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by