Do Roosters Molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ma, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Do they? I have a SLW Rooster, 8 months old, sexually mature, who has lost his back feathers over the cold months. His back is not bald, there is signs of fuzzy new growth.

This is only on his back. His cape is gorgeous and beautiful tail (sickle) feathers, wings, etc. This feather loss is directly on the top of his back. Sorry, no pictures. (Technologically handicapped.[​IMG])

Everyone else is fine, except his hens who have bald backs. But that's due to his over active sex life.[​IMG] Now I have chicken saddles![​IMG]

2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Yes! All chickens molt. [​IMG]

3. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Is this a common age for Roos to molt? I can't find any literature on this. Everything deals with hens molting.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Ma

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    hmmm, never crossed my mind that the roosters would molt. Good question there.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, all chickens molt. The first molt is usually alot less extreme than the second.

It makes a difference as far as when the chick was hatched.

Chicks hatched later in the summer won't molt until the next fall, however early hatched chicks will have a mild to extreme
    molt the same year they were hatched.

bigzio

6. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    I have 2 year hens that have not molted, ever! Is this common?

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've been calling our little roo "Stumpy" lately because he molted his tail off...has new feathers coming in, but they're pretty stubby right now. [​IMG]

cjsgrl - they probably have molted, but some birds lose just a few feathers at a time over months and months, so it's barely noticeable, while others blow out their feathers quickly.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:I'm sure they have, just slowly enough that you didn't notice. Have they taken a break in laying in those 2 years?

9. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Yes they have taken breaks! So molting was the cause? Who da thunk?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by