Do roosters prefer certain hens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KarenP, Feb 9, 2012.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I feel really bad because my RIR always seems to be on top of this one particular hen. Then to make matters worst, when he gets off i have another one who gets her before she can even get up. He is to small to get on her without help!! I also have two other hens who he is so sweet and gentle with. All of the other ones he chooses randomly. I just feel bad for that one hen. She will hang around with them while they are free ranging, but when they go in for the night, she goes to the other coop because i don't think she wants to deal with them in the morning. I don't let them free range until about 2 pm, and i think the poor thing realizes she is stuck with them with no place to run. I even put a harness on her because her feathers were starting to look weak.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, roosters often have a favorite hen that they mate with so often, the hen looks raggedy. When you said harness, did you mean hen saddle? Those are great. I had a breeding trio of marans, and the rooster liked one hen waaaaaay more than the other, so she looked awful. I put a hen saddle on her to help protect her back so her feathers could grow back. She looked so cute in her sunflower saddle.....

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes there always seems to be 1 or 2 the Roo prefers over the rest. You'll just have to keep an eye on her for signs of excess roughness....missing feathers on side & behind comb. Might want to check the Roo's nails/spurs....if they are too long and he's excessively rough he could really injure her.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've noticed this, of course, but I also suspect that certain hens are too submissive as well. I've seen other hens who do not yield every time the Rooster comes by. An over submissive hen is a target for severe feather wearing.

5. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    [​IMG].

Yes, that's exactly what i was meaning to say. Here she is in her sun flowers!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by