Do roosters really have a favorite hen(s)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GimmeCake, Aug 11, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I'm wondering about if roosters really do have favorite hens? Or do they just go after the first they see, and people mistake that as being the favorite hen?

2. Yes, they do. They often follow them around, breed them more often, etc. My Cochin roo had a favorite girl, he always hung out with her, sadly she passed on from a fox attack. Our OEGB roo was a bit harder to tell... Our Serema roo, easy a pie. He won't breed anyone but this one girl and missed her so much from brooding and the fair, that even though she's still brooding he's helping now.. Lol... Very cute.

3. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Couldn't say it better.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine all have favorites. I fed some cukes today and watched rooster #2 taste it, call hens then chase one specific hen away--she's the favorite of the #1 rooster and I think #2 was afraid #1 would think he was poaching..........I have four roosters and 1-3 have specific girls they also sleep with. Poor Omega just has to make do with whoever feels lonely that night lol.

5. We Have a Serema like that... :lol: I feel bad for the guy... I'm gonna hatch out Seremas and hopefully get a hen I could pair him with... :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by