Do roosters regrow tail feathers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crimsonchicken, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    Ok, I didnt know where to post this, so I put it here. I have a gorgeous rooster who has the ugliest tail feathers due to being cooped up most of the time while we are building the big house and run. His tail feathers are all shredded looking. I think it's due to the roost being too close to the wire in the wall. Will he molt these ugly feathers at some point and regrow pretty ones again?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. Mine get really raggedy by the end of summer. I am starting to find tail feathers everywhere out there right now. In another couple of weeks they'll start sprouting new tail feathers and will be all pretty again. Your boy should do the same. [​IMG]

(and given your username, I do feel somewhat obligated to give a War Eagle! as well as a little Roll Tide! thrown in to be nice. [​IMG] I am originally from Alabama and went to Auburn AND Alabama.)

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What CityGirl said, all except for the crimson tide part. [​IMG]

4. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    Thanks for the replies, AND the Roll Tide. [​IMG] I'm glad he won't be permanently raggedy. He's such a handsome guy otherwise.

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    yes they will grow back, my rooster only has 2 tail feathers rite now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by