Do Roosters "Sex-down"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JackieandChicks, Aug 5, 2013.

1. JackieandChicks

JackieandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Meaning...some of my boys are horny little buggers and now some of my hens won't come out into the run to avoid them. Is this like teenage boys...will they settle down after a bit, or do I need to consider rehoming them? Luckily I was given a year old hen who doesn't mind them so much and I've seen her put them in their place, but the younger hens are not happy right now.

Thanks!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    rehome them this happens when you have too many roos for the amount hens. there is nothing else you can really do. i would rehome all of them give your hens a few months for a break then add another nice roo.

3. JackieandChicks

May 8, 2013
    It's really only two that are dominant. And there are nine hens to the two roos. I do have two really sweet boys that I actually like; it's just the two that, of course, are really pretty. How many hens to roos should I have? I am working on getting more adult hens.

4. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

10 to 12 hens per 1 roo, I have 9 hens to 1 roo his name is Casanova and had to put chicken saddles on his favorite girls.I bought more for him this spring just waiting for them to grow up.

5. JackieandChicks

May 8, 2013
    The two over-sexed boys went to live someplace else, where they'll behave or be eaten. Hated to see them go, but they were driving my girls crazy. I have only three roos now to 12 girls and all is much more peaceful. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by