Do roosters stop crow when it's too hot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Jun 12, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It's been hot here.High 90's and low 90's.Starting out in the mornings it's usually 70 something degreese.

I noticed that my rooster cut back on crowing,infact he hasn't crowed At All today (at least I have not heard and I have been outside back&fourth.)No other roosters around,accept for a 2 and half month old cockerel,and roosters crows off in the distance.No hens are dominant over him,accept some do seem to bulk up occasionally.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have a lot of roosters. When temperatures / weather is extreme the crowing rate declines. Crowing takes a lot of energy.

3. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah,I think it was the heat becuase he started crowingonce a little breeze and sprinkles came throug.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]It has been in the upper 80's and the 90's, mid 90' where I'm at as well. My rooster usually only crows in the morning and noon, before it gets REALLY hot. He doesn't usually get too hot anyway because he's so hardy. What breed is he? Is he heavily feathered? If he started crowing when their was a breeze/sprinkles, he was probably too hot to bother with crowing. My rooster can sometimes get enough energy to crow when he has just did the courtship dance or flirted with one of the girls and he wants to show off . . . [​IMG]

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
  6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks!Like yours too.

He is a New Hampshire red.He is pretty heavily feathered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by