1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Roosters Use a Perch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazysilkychick, Aug 3, 2008.

1. crazysilkychick

crazysilkychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Hi I know this may sound wierd, but i'm new to keeping chickens - are roosters supposed to use perches? because none of my flock will either. I'm trying to get them into the habbit, any advice?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC! I'm assuming you are talking about having your chickens roost at night to sleep?

Yes, roosters will roost with their flock.

How old are your chickens? You can often teach chickens to roost by going into the coop after dark and physically putting them onto the roosts. If you do that for a few days or week, they should get the idea and start to use the roost themselves.

3. crazysilkychick

Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for that.
    The Hens and roostor are 2 and the chicks are about 6 weeks

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Mine fly up 2 stories in the barn! The higher the better! I don't worry as much as I did about predators because they just go higher.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Where are they currently sleeping?

Do you have a roost built? Do you have pictures?

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine took a while before he started using the roost, but once the girls did, he joined right in! They all didn't start using the roosts until they were about 15 wks. old. I don't know why really, they just never did!

7. crazysilkychick

Apr 30, 2008
    They are currently sleeping in a huddle in the corner of the house, sorry can't get any pics. I keep trying to put them on in the perch in evening but they just fall off straight away!

Thanks for the help I will keep trying! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Would you post a picture of your roost? Or explain its size or what it's made out of? Maybe they can't grip it with their feet...just a thought...

9. crazysilkychick

Apr 30, 2008
    I hope this works - here is a pic of my rooster

[​IMG]

10. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    I have more roosters than hens :eek: , and all of mine roost.

By the way, to post a picture you need to put the 'picture web address' between the 'img tags'.

Like this [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/9693_img_0843.jpg[/URL] [img][/I] with no spaces.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/9693_img_0843.jpg ([B]picture web address[/B])

[img][img] ([B]img tags[/B])

Edit: I looked at the picture and I think you have the wrong picture, because I can't see a roost in the picture. Just a rooster in flowers.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by