do rouen lay daily??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mickeymousears, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    We got our first and seconds eggs- but I haven't seen any more in 2 days. Am I just not looking hard enough or do they not lay everyday?

Anyone have tips on getting her to lay in one spot?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have a female rouen that started laying a while ago. She has been laying one eggs everyday ever since.

Do you have her pened up in the morning and let her out at night? Thats what I do. But right now mine I think is broody, so she is pened up for good till the babies hatch.

3. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    No they get locked in the coop at night and free range during the day. We let them out around 7 and put them to bed just before sundown- which is also about 7 for the next few weeks anyways. (seems like we were just putting them to bed around 9 time flies)

Ill look around the yard maybe I missed them.

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Just wondering, is she SQ or hatchery stock?

5. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Hatchery?? Idk I got her at the local farm supply

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    SQ means show quality. Show quility rouens are horrible layers. Hatchery stock rouens lay quite well. Mine is hatchery stock. SQ rouens are massive birds and are used for mean only. Hatchery stock are good for meat to just not nearly as big. Yours are more than likely hatchery stock. And the reason she isnt laying is becuz she just started while its getting cold.

7. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Oh I c. I was just concerned with leaving eggs all over the yard -not so much how many she was laying. Altho I just saw my rir laying in the BBQ cover so I guess ill be hunting for eggs anyways.

You'd think its getting cold but I live on the cali coast and our summer just started- its been mid 80s for the first time all year. This morning is foggy for the first time in a few weeks- which is nice because being 7months pregnant in hot weather isn't pleasant! [​IMG]

I was wondering if the "seasons" here would affect them because we stay pretty much the same temp all year- most annual plants I am able to grow year round. We have migratory birds that never leave. The only way you can tell its fall is because the days are shorter- I guess the light may be more of a factor than temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by