1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do saddles on hens work? Updated with a pic!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KarenP, Jan 31, 2012.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I just ordered saddles for my hens. If anyone has used them can you please give me feedback. Do they work, do the hens show signs of being uncomfortable, can the hens remove them, and do they get dirty often??

Thanks,

Karen

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi I made a saddle for one of my girls. She didn't like it at first, tried to pull it off, etc. But it didn't take long for her to get accustomed to it. I can't say for sure if it has helped stop anymore damage, but it does keep her back warm. [​IMG]

3. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I just ordered two from Louise and they are the best thing I could have done for my EE hen. She's had it on about a week, and has had NO issues with it at all. I love mine.

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    what are saddles & why are you using them? thanks for clueing in an ignorant newbie

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I HIGHLY recommend Louise's aprons and diapers! Hen aprons/saddles are used to cover and protect a hen's back when she has been loved a little too vigorously by her rooster.

6. coopscs

coopscs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    I bought one for my picked on girl. It is so hot most of the year in FL I didn't have the heart to make her wear it. I ended up rehoming my rooster.

7. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    [​IMG]

The saddles came in today and only one of the girls really put up a fight. I hope she get used to it, i would hate to see her loose her beautiful feathers!!!

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

That is just adorable. Nice color choice for her. Don't know if I'll ever use these but I can't resist pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by