Do saddles on hens work? Updated with a pic!!

KarenP

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Westport
I just ordered saddles for my hens. If anyone has used them can you please give me feedback. Do they work, do the hens show signs of being uncomfortable, can the hens remove them, and do they get dirty often??

Thanks,

Karen

Last edited:
Hi I made a saddle for one of my girls. She didn't like it at first, tried to pull it off, etc. But it didn't take long for her to get accustomed to it. I can't say for sure if it has helped stop anymore damage, but it does keep her back warm.
idunno.gif

I just ordered two from Louise and they are the best thing I could have done for my EE hen. She's had it on about a week, and has had NO issues with it at all. I love mine.

I just ordered saddles for my hens. If anyone has used them can you please give me feedback. Do they work, do the hens show signs of being uncomfortable, can the hens remove them, and do they get dirty often??

Thanks,

Karen

I HIGHLY recommend Louise's aprons and diapers! Hen aprons/saddles are used to cover and protect a hen's back when she has been loved a little too vigorously by her rooster.

I bought one for my picked on girl. It is so hot most of the year in FL I didn't have the heart to make her wear it. I ended up rehoming my rooster.

The saddles came in today and only one of the girls really put up a fight. I hope she get used to it, i would hate to see her loose her beautiful feathers!!!

The saddles came in today and only one of the girls really put up a fight. I hope she get used to it, i would hate to see her loose her beautiful feathers!!!

That is just adorable. Nice color choice for her. Don't know if I'll ever use these but I can't resist pictures!

Back
Top Bottom