do saddles really work??

ladrholman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Musquodoboit
I have 3 for sure of my 32 girls that are getting bare backs from the roos!!! I am thinking they might need saddles..... does anyone have experience with these? I found a few patterns.... might get my mother who sews on it. The girls are a Americauna, black cochin bantam and a bantam frizzle..... she needs a hat too!!!! And does anyone do anything for their poor heads where the roos grab the feathers... they end up with bald spots!! Thanks

I got saddles for some of my chickens a few years ago and they worked great. I put the saddles on the girls at night when they are already chilling out on the roosts and that worked really well. I also added more hens to my breeding pens so the girls wouldn't get too much attention, if you know what I mean
smile.png
. This fixed the problem for me, their feathers all came back in and they no longer need the saddles. Is it possible you might have too many roos in with the girls?

Yup, hen saddles work. I prefer to call the "shawls" as that's a much more lady-like word.
big_smile.png
One of my hens wore one for four months and yet the rooster still mounted her frequently. Her feathers grew in very nicely.

I had some hens last year that were practically bald on their backs thanks to a rooster with a bent toe. I got them Hen Saver saddles and their feathers grew back beautifully! I got rid of that roo after that, also, and currently we have a much lighter roo leading the flock. For now, they're fine without their saddles, but I keep them handy in case I see any feather damage again. Oh, and I spent the extra cost to get the "predator eyes" design since I often let them out to free range. We never lost any birds to hawks while they had the saddles on, and it made me feel better that it gave them a bit of added protection from aerial attacks.
wink.png

Bottom line - yes, they work!
tongue.png

Wonderful.... does anyone know how I can get them in Canada.... I tried to order though Crazy K but apparently they don't ship to Canada!! Anyone??? 3 of my girls are bald on the back and poor frizzle is missing so many feathers!!

I just recently made mine from a pattern I found on the internet. Super easy, fast, and I honestly think my hen feels like a superhero with it on (we call it her cape). The roo was hysterical the first time he tried to mount her with it on....he slid off, then he just went in circles around her for the longest time trying to figure it out. She is so much happier (yes, I know she is!) with it . I plan to make another one so I can switch it out and wash it. Honestly, it takes just a small piece of fabric, elastic , snaps and 20 minutes!

Hi! I made mine, too. Didn't have a pattern, just a chicken and a ruler.
smile.png
She is VERY submissive, though and seemed to enjoy all the attention while I measured and fitted. Has worked out well so far! Good luck with yours!

I had never heard of such a thing (or the diapers) but I'm gonna git me some! My son has d'uccles coming that he wants as pets and will be hand-raised in the house. Diapers, anybody? Yes, please!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom