Do Serama eggs reqiure a lower temp due to smaller size?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rroven, Jun 17, 2008.

1. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    I just got 9 Serama eggs yesterday and I am expecting 6+ more in todays post. I have an LG forced air bator that is holding a steady temp of 100 but was wondering if that needs to be reduced because of the size of the eggs?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No. 99.5 - 100 is the perfect temp for poultry egg incubation.

If you have a still air bator you test the temps at the top of the eggs and set it to 100 - 102.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just hatched out Serama eggs at 99.5 and they are fine and NO problems hatching either. I had the humidity between 45 and 50% and temps at 99.5 throughout. At day 18 I upped the humidity to 65-70% I hear that the LG seems to need a higher temp so I would check on that too. Do a search on LG Still Air temps. I have a hovabator 1588 so no experience with the LG's. Good luck on your hatch! I will have more Serama's in the bator by the end of the week too [​IMG]

4. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    Quote:Thanks Miss Prissy...it's a forced air.

Glad to hear that. The temp in the LG is just slightly over 100 and I was only able to get it to stablize after my hubby installed a fan. I also have a hovabator 1602, same problem so had him install a fan in it too. Steady temps in both now. Lost 11 Salmon Favoerelle eggs of my very first hatch to the temperature fluctuations so I am hoping to get a hatch from these and other eggs that are also coming today. Keep everything crossed for me!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you! Keep up posted. I subscribed to this post [​IMG] I'm anxious to see how those babies do and what they look like [​IMG]

6. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

no 100 is fine 100.5 is even better. dont mess with it at all..

frank
    resident serama flunky

7. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    120 Serama! Woot! Guess I'll be looking to you for any advice I need about Serama, Frank!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by