1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do seramas mature faster? Crowing at 2 months!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IcedMochaChick, May 5, 2009.

1. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Could it be?! My little serama started crowing last night! They are only 2 months old! He's got his comb and wattles, and one of the hens comb is starting to turn "orangish". Do they really mature that fast?

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I really don't know about Seramas, but my Silver Gray Dorking crowed at 6 weeks old. I've heard some swear theirs crowed at only a few DAYS old! So I'm not sure if Seramas mature faster - but I do know some roosters crow at a very young age.

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I wish standard roos would crow as soon as my little bantam roos start trying to. It would save getting attached to them and then finding out they are a roo! My bantam Cochin and Silkie roos don't crow that early, but my OEGBs, d'Uccles and Sebrights always have. It would make sense for Seramas to be right there with the others.

4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I think that they do sometimes as individauls. I still have a 5 month old Serama that still hardly ever crows. Hes shy! [​IMG]

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    One of my chicks last year started crowing at a month of age. peeeep-PEEEEEEP-PEEP. He turned out to be such a sweet boy, quite the attitude though. [​IMG]

6. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    So, he may not be maturing fast, he's just crowing early. Cool [​IMG]
    He was really going for it, too. He was all stretched out on his tip toes and craning his neck. Course, he was still only as tall as a bottle of soda [​IMG]

7. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    My seramas have crowed earlier than any other breed I have had. I have a little 10 week old now. His poor hens. I am always hearing their shrieks of pain as he mounts them at least twice an hour.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I've had one of my sebrights crow at 6 weeks.

9. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    He's mounting them already?! OMG, that must be why Toast has feathers missing on her neck. Poor baby. He's really been chasing Toast a lot. She ducks under him to make him stop. Aw, I feel bad for her, she's so tiny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by