1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Do Seramas need more help getting hatched?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vetgirl00us, May 18, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Sorry, to obsess. I've had 6 pip in 12 hours and the only to zip and hatch was one of my self blue babies, a gorgeous gunmetal silver gray chick. The other pippers- seramas haven't done anything since. It seems like I read somewhere that they have hatch issues..... I can glady get them out of the eggs if I have too. I don't want to lose them.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Give them 24 hours after pipping before helping them out, and even then do it a VERY little at a time and if there is any blood AT ALL then STOP!

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    okay, it's been 13 hours so far

4. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    My chicks from my own flock are hatching beautifully, the seramas not so. I checked this morning and no progress on the pips so off came 1/2 a shell and I had shrinkwrapped seramas. They are all doing well now. Maybe the seramas, being so small, just aren't as strong as the OEGB bantams I am hatching along with them? Either way, I'm not letting them die under my watch lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by