do show chickens need to be purebred?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raymondjames, Dec 4, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    If a mutt bird came to a show would it get smackdowned because its lack of purity? or do they not usually judge on breed, but on content?
    I'm thinking of some wacky mutt ideas [​IMG]

2. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    As long as it fits the breed standards. However, if you're thinking of making your own variety, you can show them in an All Other Varieties class.

ETA- there's a REASON people spend years and years on breeding Show Quality birds. If your bird doesn't come close to the ideal fr the breed standard, it will have a hard time winning and waste your time.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    In general yes. But they get no farther than competing against themselves. IMO it is a waste of time and money. New varieties with the intention of becoming a new variety for show purposes is different than crossing and showing the weirdest things possible. Birds are judged on conformation and condition, that is the purpose of the Standard Of Perfection. It is mosttimes costly and time consuming to get something into the standard, in some cases taking up to five years to get recognition.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Since birds are judged against their Standard of Perfection and a mutt doesn't have a Standard of Perfection, perhaps you can see what the problem might be with showing a mutt?

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Another thought: it would probably be possible to show a mutt in 4-H showmanship. The junior is being judged there, and the training is being judged, and not the bird

6. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Thanks guys. Never showed, and still trying to get a feel on what its like (requirements, time/money needed, skills needed, etc)

7. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Basically, the point of showing is to show off the best of what you have, and to see how well it places against what others have been breeding. "Competition breeds Quality"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by