Do Sicilian Buttercups have leg or lameness problems?

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I have 50 five week old chicks, 17 different varieties, 3 are Sicilian Buttercups. All seem healthy, many are flying but all 3 Buttercups are lame. With so many moving in and out of the brooder and to forage I just noticed that one of the birds was small and was just sitting by the feeder. 3 days ago I thought it was just one which did most of the sitting, I isolated it so it didn't have to compete for food and water. It can move around but without standing. Today I found another doing the same so the first has a mate, I realized they were both Buttercups. Later I took a turtles eye view of the fledgeling flock and noticed one that looked like slipped tendon, other leg fine. It is the third Buttercup.
The flock were raised under the following conditions.
They have always been on pine shavings, the first week burlap over the shavings and the first 2 days paper towels over the burlap. None have ever been vaccinated or medicated.
Always dechlorinated water with 1 tbsp per gallon of organic ACV, with agave nectar added the first week.
Only fed 20% Dumor starter grower since birth. Some egg yolk the first 2 days.
I know Buttercups are a hot weather breed. The brooder is homemade 2'X4' just high enough to allow moving in and out.
I started the two isolated birds on Durvet Vitamin and Electrolyte water and mixed yogurt and egg yolk with the food.
Any ideas on the breed or prognosis?
Thanks

Thanks for the link. I just thought it was wierd that it was only the SBs.
hmm.png

I had 25 Freedom Rangers 3 weeks older with no problems either.

Back
Top Bottom