Do silkie chicks feather slower than others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lemurchaser, Aug 22, 2008.

1. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I have 3 6 wk old silkie chicks, and they still have baby fuzz and a really thin covering of their adult fluff. These are my first silkies, but they are so much less developed than other breeds their age. I was thinking I could remove the heat lamp soon, but I'm wondering if they still need it. Looking at them, it just seems like they have so little protection from the elements. The adult "feathering" they have is beautiful and healthy, and otherwise they are growing, running, eating, and pooping normally. Is this normal, or are mine just slow featherers?

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I believe they do feather slower I had a silkie chick hatch with 2 other chicks of a different breed and the bigger chicks feathered faster then my silkie did.

3. lemurchaser

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Here are some pics of them. They are 6 weeks old on Monday. Does this look like normal.

Clickable pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That looks perfectly normal! You know the only baby fluff left is on their heads right? The rest is their teen feathers. About where are you in corvallis? I'll be stationed near technology loop this fall.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Looks perfectly normal to me. Nothing abnormal to speak of. It probably just appears that other birds are feathering out faster because of the solidity of their feathers. You can actually see them getting longer and larger. Its not as easy to see the amount of growth on Silkies because of their texture...

6. lemurchaser

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:I'm in North Corvallis, near circle blvd and 9th.

7. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    My two silkies are six weeks old today too and my white one looks just like that. Her fluff ball-ness gets bigger and fluffier every day. And, like silkiechicken said, it seems the only baby stuff left is on her head. My other silkie is a partridge roo, and he doesn't look as fluffy, but still has about the same degree of development. Do you have any roos? His legs are so long and strong looking he looks like a dinosaur!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by