Do silkie chicks have to have marbles in the water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have raised chicks before and loads of ducks, but i hear these silkies are teeny, so if we use a chick waterer(you know the wee, plastic/coloured ones) should we add marbles, would they better on nipple waterers?

Thoughts?

2. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    I always put marbles in their water for the first few days at least, for all types of chicks. I've never used the nipple waterers.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have never heard of this. What are the marbles suposed to do?

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thanks. See, i never did lol all went fine and with ducklings totally not needed, well not that i have found. I am curious about nipple waterers they show chicks using them.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I assume keep them from drowning? but i am unclear if you use a small waterer how this is an issue. We just use the plastic mason jar types meant for chicks.

6. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    yes, the marbles are to keep them from drowning. I use those little plastic water bases that screw onto the mason jars. My kids have loads of marbles so I just always do. The nipple waterers seem to leak when I have seen them used for other animals like rabbits. I try and keep things as dry as possible in the brooder.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep, those kind although i do have some with plastic jars a bit safer, well less likely broken by us! lol I do wonder about leaking but these nipple waterers do intrigue me, i think it would be easier to train them as chicks vs adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by