Do silkie chicks need anything different than the others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mothersin2ition, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Im expecting some silkies to hatch this weekend ( [​IMG] ) and was wondering if they need anything special? Ive never had silkies before.
    TIA for any advice.

2. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you dont give them high perches, nexting boxes, coop etc. you will be fine.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They don't like ramps.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've treated my two silkies the same as all the rest of my chickens and they do fine. I even have one that likes to roost up high with the big girls, but he can't reach the roost. I help him up each night. [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:He's got you wrapped around his finger- oh wait- toe! What a good chicken mommy!

[​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He's got you wrapped around his finger- oh wait- toe! What a good chicken mommy!

[​IMG]

I drive my DH crazy with my chicken care. He occasionally will take care of putting the chickens up for the night for me. Then comes the questions - "Did you help Lil' Bit up on a roost, next to the rooster?" (she's partially blind and can't see to get up on one herself). "Did you make sure Jezebel has a nice spot next to Bluey?" "Did you put Jethro (the silkie) up on the roost, next to Ivy but not too close to the rooster?" [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

How many eggs do you have in your incubator? I have an incubator coming in the mail!

[​IMG]

8. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I drive my DH crazy with my chicken care. He occasionally will take care of putting the chickens up for the night for me. Then comes the questions - "Did you help Lil' Bit up on a roost, next to the rooster?" (she's partially blind and can't see to get up on one herself). "Did you make sure Jezebel has a nice spot next to Bluey?" "Did you put Jethro (the silkie) up on the roost, next to Ivy but not too close to the rooster?" [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] oh dear that is too funny! I shudder to think what my dh would say if I asked that of him [​IMG]

ChickensAreSweet I have 5 that are going into lockdown tonight, out of 9. 4 didnt make it [​IMG] and I also have 5 black copper marans due to hatch next week [​IMG]

What are you going to hatch??​

9. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] oh dear that is too funny! I shudder to think what my dh would say if I asked that of him [​IMG]

ChickensAreSweet I have 5 that are going into lockdown tonight, out of 9. 4 didnt make it [​IMG] and I also have 5 black copper marans due to hatch next week [​IMG]

What are you going to hatch??

I want to hatch out a Buff Orpington roo and eventually would like some butterscotch and porcelain D'Uccles. I am thinking that I might not hatch out anything until spring- I don't know. I don't really want the chicks living in the garage for 2 months with winter coming.

I'm sorry for yours that didn't make it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by